Refractive Lens Exchange (RLE) / Cataract Surgery
RLE / Cataract surgery using the very latest advanced monofocal, toric and multifocal lenses
Which lenses do we use?
Multifocal lenses can provide a far greater range of focus. Trifocal lenses target near, intermediate and distance vision. Four in 5 (80%) of patients will be spectacle-free with trifocal lenses; the remaining 1 in 5 (20%) may require reading glasses for some tasks. The potential downside of trifocal lenses is a comprise in the quality of distance vision as well as optical side effects (glare and haloes), particularly at night.
Extended Depth of Focus (EDoF) is the next generation technology in multifocal lens design. EDoF lenses let you see clearly at far and intermediate distances. They provide greater spectacle independence than monofocal lenses, while inducing less visual side effects compared to trifocal lenses. This balance of increased spectacle independence and less visual phenomena is particularly attractive to patients with an active lifestyle, who wish to be spectacle-free for most of their daily activities but are more sensitive to halos and glare. EDoF lenses are a particularly good option for patients who have had prior laser eye surgery.
Adjusting the focusing of EDoF lenses with the non-dominant eye slightly near-sighted (mini-monovision) can further improves reading vision. This means that with both eyes open, you have the advantages of both monofocal and multifocal IOLs: greater freedom from glasses and fewer side effects.
What about laser cataract surgery?
Mr Gore’s safety record speaks for itself - His PCR (posterior capsular rupture) rate, the key index for safety in cataract surgery, is 0.5 %, compared with 1.5% national average and the Royal College of Ophthalmologist's benchmark of 2.0%.
If you would like to read the research on laser assisted cataract surgery, click here.
More information on Cataract Surgery
Although RLE and Cataract surgery are effectively the same operation, the reason for each is quite different. RLE is used in cases where laser surgery is not suitable or possible, while Cataract surgery is performed when the natural lens in the eye becomes cloudy.
Hover over and click the images below for more information about all the lens types that Mr Gore uses. Lots of information about life after Cataracts is available here, with more available in person at your consultation.
Private medical insurance
RLE / Cataract surgery is performed as a day-case procedure, typically lasting 15 minutes. Both eyes are usually treated on the same day. You will go home with a protective shield over the eye which you can remove the following morning.
Overall, RLE/Cataract surgery is very safe. Complications rarely occur, with a serious problem such as an infection or bleeding in the eye affecting approximately 1 in 1000 patients. 1 in 100 patients may require a second operation - this could include repositioning or exchange of the lens, clearing lens fragments from the back of the eye or repairing a retinal detachment. 1 in 5 patients may develop posterior capsule opacification (PCO) - a thickened membrane behind the new lens that can develop months or years after the operation. This can cause the vision to become blurred again and may require a quick out-patient laser procedure (YAG laser capsulotomy) to restore clarity.
The experience and expertise of your surgeon is the most important factor in minimising the risk of complications during your treatment. Daniel Gore has an excellent safety record: His PCR (posterior capsular rupture) rate, the key index for safety in RLE & cataract surgery, is 0.62 %*, compared with 1.5% national average and the Royal College of Ophthalmologist's benchmark of 2.0%.
*(correct as of 2021)